What is Neuroscience?
Neuroscience is the scientific study of the nervous system- the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. At it’s most basic level, neuroscience is the study of the brain and all of the things that make us human; how we think, behave, move, and the essence of who we are.
According to the Society for Neuroscience (SfN)¹ the three main objectives of neuroscience are to
- Understand the human brain and how it functions
- Understand and describe how the central nervous system (CNS) develops, matures, and maintains itself.
- Analyze and understand neurological and psychiatric disorders, and discover methods to prevent or cure them.
Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary science that incorporates many other fields like chemistry, cognitive science, computer science, engineering, linguistics, mathematics, neurology, genetics, and more. Neuroscience affects almost all human functioning and is critical to developing a better understanding of conditions like addiction, schizophrenia, ADHD, autism, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and brain tumors. Understanding the neurological factors that lead to these conditions can help scientists develop medications and other strategies to treat and prevent these issues.
Neurohealth may sound like science fiction, but the concepts and treatments offered and performed at Destination Hope represent the cutting edge of non-talk therapy for behavioral. The brain is one of the last frontiers that medicine has yet to understand, but in the past few decades, we have made strides in neuroscience that have transformed our understanding of this complex organ. Our Neurohealth Center adds incredible value to the Behavioral Health program at Destination Hope. At the Neurohealth Center, we aim to:
- Use individualized data to assess neurological health and neuropsychological function
- Restore brain function compromised by substance abuse and mental health issues
- Employ non-invasive techniques to provide symptom relief without side effects
- Allow our clients to continue treatment with a greater sense of happiness and peace
Our Neurohealth Centers offer clients a broad range of services including biofeedback therapies and transcranial magnetic stimulation in order to deal with behavioral and psychological health issues. These treatments result in lower stress levels, more emotional comfort, and decreased pain while in recovery.