Drug Rehab for Women: What Makes it Different?
Drug rehab for women is a preferred option for female clients in drug treatment over mixed-gender programs for a number of reasons. Drug rehab for women is tailored to the specific social, biological, psychological and societal needs of women, along with their individual concerns and relationships with addiction. Paying special attention to these key differences gives female clients more accurate and effective assistance in overcoming their addictions to substances.
How Drug Rehab for Women Works Differently
Drug rehab for women works like traditional drug rehabilitation centers in many ways. Both types of programs include detoxification, psychotherapy treatment, lifestyle counseling, support group meetings and other methods of addiction treatment. The difference is that in drug rehab for women, clients are treated based on the important differences between the sexes based on these categories and others:
1) Societal: The roles of women are complex ones, as society places judgment and specific expectations on them in the home, at work, in the family and in the community.
2) Psychological: Women think differently than men in a few key ways. One such way is that the female mind has a higher tendency for ruminating, which can lead to increased stress levels. Another difference is that clients in drug rehab for women are much more likely to have dual diagnoses than male clients. A dual diagnosis is when a person suffers from addiction as well as at least one accompanying mental health disorder, such as depression or anxiety. For female clients diagnosed with mental health disorders, the differences in the way that specific disorders, such as bipolar disorder, affect females and males with regards to symptoms is also significant.
3) Biological: Biological considerations, such as the hormones of the female body, also contribute to the differences among the sexes.
Benefits of Attending Drug Rehab for Women
The benefits from drug rehab for women are plenty including…
- Women are better able to relate to their fellow clients in the rehabilitation programs as well as later in the alumni support group meetings. Women share many situations to one another than women and men do. Some examples may include the life challenges and societal pressures of being single working mothers or having teenage daughters.
- Clients may receive treatment for dual diagnoses at drug rehab for women.
- The roles you play at home and in society are addressed in your treatment programs.
- Women may open up easier regarding their personal experiences in front of their all-female peers.
If you or a woman you love is having problems with drug abuse, alcohol dependency and mental illness, women’s drug rehab may be the answer. Remember that recovery from addiction and alcohol abuse treatment means learning how to cope with intensely emotional situations, and identifying when you need help and support. Treatment for addiction relapse, counseling, and aftercare can help you do this, so please call us today. Destination Hope: The Women’s Program is a full service addiction and women’s health treatment facility in Florida for women who suffer from substance abuse and behavioral health issues.