Is an Alcohol Treatment Center for Alcoholics?
Alcohol treatment center programs sometimes come along with an unfortunate stigma in our society. Yes, an alcohol treatment center is for clients suffering from alcoholism but it is also a place for clients suffering from other forms of alcohol abuse, such as binge drinking.
Who Can Use the Services of an Alcohol Treatment Center?
The services of an alcohol treatment center are for clients with various needs, including clients suffering from alcoholism and clients struggling with alcohol abuse, such as binge drinking. This is because an alcohol treatment center program is for both alcohol abuse and alcohol addiction.
What is Considered Alcohol Abuse?
Alcohol abuse is the excessive consumption of alcohol. Many people have difficulty realizing they’ve crossed the line of alcohol consumption into the zone of alcohol abuse for various reasons. Some reasons may include that all of their peers consume alcohol in the same fashion or in the same quantity, they may be binge drinkers but may only consume alcohol on infrequent occasions, and so on. Alcohol abuse is as important to get under control at an alcohol treatment center as alcoholism is because alcohol abuse is detrimental to the body and mind and can have negative consequences on all life areas including societal standing (such as getting arrested while under the influence), relationships and careers.
Potential Signs of Alcoholism
Here are some signs that heavily point towards the possibility of alcoholism or alcohol abuse, signaling the need for the use of the services of an alcohol treatment center:
- Drinking in secret, hiding or lying about drinking habits to others.
- Being unable to drink less or to stop drinking altogether.
- Alcohol is the center focus of your life.
- Alcohol consumption is affecting your work or relationships.
- You feel guilty when you consume alcohol.
- You continue to drink despite health problems from drinking.
- If you don’t drink alcohol, you suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
An alcohol treatment center can help you get your life back in your control.
The Prevalence of Alcohol in Our Society
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIH)…
- 51.3% of adults in the U.S. are regular drinkers (regular drinkers in this context means at least 12 drinks in the past year).
- 17.7 million Americans were dependent on alcohol or were abusing alcohol in the U.S. in 2012.
- Alcohol has the highest dependence rate of all substances in the U.S.
- In 2012, 8.9% of Americans needed treatment for substance dependence but only 1% actually went to the step of receiving treatment.
If you or someone you love is suffering from the effects of alcohol abuse, substance addiction or any other type of addiction, please call us today. Our addiction treatment counselors can help you deal with physical, emotional and psychological consequences of drug and alcohol abuse. A substance abuse treatment program is effective, safe and has helped many men reclaim their lives. Destination Hope is a full service drug, alcohol and dual diagnosis treatment facility in Florida for men suffering from substance abuse and mental health issues.