Are Substance Abuse Programs Necessary? What about Just Doing the 12 Steps?
Substance abuse programs make the chances of successful recovery much stronger. The 12 steps of recovery are an important part of substance abuse programs, but there are more facets to treatment added that can help clients gain the proper strength to continuously work towards recovery. In addition, the support system of addiction treatment professionals also works to make the transition to recovered living more comfortable and more likely to result in long-term success.
The 12 Steps of Recovery
The journey to recovery is maybe most well known as being a 12-step process. While substance abuse programs certainly do utilize the 12 steps, they go a bit further by incorporating some special benefits that are not available by utilizing the 12 steps alone. Here are the 12 steps of recovery…
- Admitting powerlessness over alcohol. Admitting is certainly the first step and attests to the usefulness of support group meetings and other methods in substance abuse programs.
- Believing a power greater than yourself can restore you.
- Making the decision to turn your will and life over to a higher power.
- Making a deep and courageous moral inventory of your self.
- Admitting to your wrongdoings, even to yourself.
- Being prepared to have all of your character defects removed.
- Asking to be rid of your shortcomings.
- Making a list of everyone you’ve done wrong to and be willing to make amends to them.
- Going ahead and making direct amends to all of the aforementioned people, except for cases where attempting to do so would cause them further harm.
- Continue working on a personal inventory and be willing to admit when you were wrong (admitting wrongs is a big part of substance abuse programs).
- Utilizing prayer and consciousness to continue to gain further knowledge and to gain the strength to act on that knowledge.
- Carrying the message of this spiritual awakening to individuals suffering from alcoholism and applying the knowledge and principles learned to all areas of life.
Increasing the Odds of Success: Substance Abuse Programs
Substance abuse programs utilize these steps as well as other valuable treatment methods such as psychotherapy and lifestyle counseling. Psychotherapy is the main treatment method for substance abuse and addiction as it uncovers the underlying personal causes/reasons for addiction. Although the 12 steps have proven useful for many people in recovery, they are not the only way to achieve lasting sobriety. Many substance abuse programs actually incorporate these steps in varying forms, but provide the important feature of ongoing support from professionals and peers.
If you or someone you love is suffering from the effects of alcohol abuse, substance addiction or any other type of addiction, please call us today. Our addiction treatment counselors can help you deal with physical, emotional and psychological consequences of drug and alcohol abuse. A substance abuse treatment program is effective, safe and has helped many men reclaim their lives. Destination Hope is a full service drug, alcohol and dual diagnosis treatment facility in Florida for men suffering from substance abuse and mental health issues.