Dangers of Gaming Addiction
Florida drug rehab warns about the special dangers gaming addiction can present to youth. Gaming addiction can actually physically rewire young brains. Find out how gaming addiction affects the mind and what can be done to notice the warning signs of addiction as well as preventative measures.
Gaming addiction can have a serious effect on the minds of young game players. Excessive gaming has the power to actually physically rewire young brains. The brain receives a heavy focus of training and experience with movement and vision, which is not negative; however, as a consequence, the brain lacks sufficient development in other areas of brain functioning including emotion, behavior and learning.
It’s important for young people with gaming addictions to receive treatment as soon as possible to give their brains the opportunity to be fully and properly developed in these key areas that should be important for them to lead healthy, balanced and productive lives.
Florida Drug Rehab Potential Warning Signs of a Gaming Addiction
These are some of the potential signs pointing to an addiction to gaming.
- Excessive Gaming and Excessive Focus on Gaming
- Mood Swings
- Letting Go of Responsibilities and Self Care for Gaming
- Defensiveness about Gaming
- Gaming Negatively Impacting Different Aspects of Life (i.e. school or relationships)
Florida Drug Rehab: Methods for Preventing Excessive Gaming
Work with your children to prevent excessive gaming habits before they can begin. Here are a few great tips for redirecting your child’s interest to healthier activities and pastimes as well as to minimize the time spent playing video games each week.
- Encourage your child to get involved with extracurricular activities such as sports or volunteer work as recommended by Florida drug rehab.
- Set time limits for game play.
- If your child has a tendency to play games for long periods of time, consider not owning a video game system or console in the home. This can greatly reduce the time spent playing video games if they may only enjoy them when visiting friends or when visiting a gaming center.
- Encourage quality time to be spent with friends and family away from video games, computers and other devices for well-rounded development and improved quality of life.
- Create times for reading everyday – if even a half hour or hour.
- Be honest and explain the dangers of excessive gaming.
If you suspect that a loved one is developing an addiction to gaming, don’t wait to seek help. The sooner the problem is addressed, the more effective treatment can be.
If you or someone you love is suffering from the effects of alcohol abuse, substance addiction or any other type of addiction, please call us today. Our addiction treatment counselors can help you deal with physical, emotional and psychological consequences of drug and alcohol abuse. A substance abuse treatment program is effective, safe and has helped many men reclaim their lives. Destination Hope is a full service drug, alcohol and dual diagnosis treatment facility in Florida for men suffering from substance abuse and mental health issues.